Austin, Texas

I'm in Austin, Texas for training this week. Monday it was quite bumpy trying to get here. My flight to Houston was delayed by an hour. We then sat on the tarmac for another 30 minutes while the air traffic controllers re-routed us around the storm. I landed in Houston one minute before my second flight left for Austin. I was placed on another flight that left 3 hours later.

In the meantime I got to explore the many terminals of the airport. In undergrad, I took a course called Principles of Planning. We devoted a lot of our studies to transportation systems...this has a point I promise. In transportation systems we studied airports. It's been logged in my brain as just interesting facts but it was still neat to apply to my situation. Depending on the time the airport was built, its layout was determined by the needs at that time. Houston's airport was built at a time when people could drive and park right outside their terminal. We know today that that will never be allowed again. But you still see all of the available spots around each terminal - now used primarily for airport staff. This has left the airport extremely spread out and is why you must take a train between terminals.

...This is what entertains my thoughts...lol

Yesterday, I and 29 other people learned a new volunteer management system. Next week we will be teaching 180 instructors how to teach the new program. It's been a fast-paced intensive three days. We end tomorrow with the final plan layout for next week.

I can't wait to get home though! I celebrated my one month anniversary two states away from my husband. It will be good to land back in Bama!